Food and Drink
👋 Hey, Monica here. Last November, Axios reader Brian W. wrote in raving about the quesabirria tacos sold from a tented cart in an AutoZone parking lot.
- Brian had me at "AutoZone parking lot!"
- But I was really sold when he mentioned that Antojitos La Esquina also sells "lasagna birria."
👋 Justin here! Last week I asked for soup recommendations and you did not disappoint.
- Here are just a few of the suggestions from the best readers in town!
We clucked about our favorite chicken sandwiches last week.
- Justin likes the Roost Chicken sandwich on a Hawaiian roll, while Monica went for the faux chicken with the oyster mushroom sandwich from Majani Soulful Vegan Cuisine.
Reader feedback: Most readers sided with Justin but also offered suggestions of their own.
When Smoque BBQ opened its doors on a quiet corner of Old Irving 15 years ago, it forever changed and blessed the Northwest Side.
Why it matters: Tomorrow, for one day only, Smoque is celebrating its anniversary with a limited edition smoked prime rib sandwich for $15.
- At a place famous for smoked brisket, this cut offers a strange but delicious surprise.
Two chicken sandwiches enter, one chicken sandwich leaves.
- Well, both technically left, because Monica and Justin ate them.
Chef José Andrés dashed down to Kentucky this week to help feed communities hit by weekend tornadoes.
- But last week he was in Chicago talking to Monica about his philosophy for fixing the world: "Longer tables, not higher walls."
Today's local gift idea is aimed at the person on your list with a sweet tooth and a soft heart.
Welcome to our list of locally sourced, Chicago-themed gifts. The rest of the collection will roll out over the coming days.
Today: The Barstool Chicago x JP Graziano Beef Kit Gift Box.
Why: There's nothing like the holidays in Chicago when you can gift a beef kit.
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Chicago.
Support local journalism by becoming a member.