If there's one thing Utah does well, it's holiday spectacle.
- So bundle up, pour some cocoa and cue up your seasonal playlist for these light displays!
Utah's population increased by 61,242 residents between July 2021 and July 2022, according to data released Thursday by the Kem C. Gardner Institute.
- Utah is now home to more than 3.4 million residents, the report showed.
Nearly one month after opening, overflow winter shelters in Salt Lake County have not yet reached full capacity, according to Wayne Niederhauser, the state's homeless services coordinator.
- Local and state leaders met with reporters Wednesday at the Salt Lake Chamber to provide updates on their efforts to address Salt Lake County's homeless population.
Some of Utah's most popular eateries are fighting to stay afloat as they struggle to emerge from the pandemic.
- Several other culinary mainstays have already closed.
Local art is a fantastic gift for the hard-to-surprise. The Bizarre Bazaar next to Dreamscapes in Sandy has a huge collection of quirky, subversive, and beautiful pieces at a wide range of prices.
- Here are a few ideas!
David Archuleta is shedding light on his journey with the Mormon faith as he speaks out about stepping away from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Archuleta, who rose to fame on American Idol, came out last year as a member of the LGBTQIA+ community.
Flu and RSV, a respiratory illness, are spiking fast and early this year, filling Utah's pediatric hospital again after two difficult winters of COVID.
Driving the news: Emergency visits at Intermountain Primary Children's Hospital "are setting records for the last decade at least," Dr. Per Gesteland, a pediatric hospitalist with Primary Children's and U of U Health, told Axios.
- So when I went to an elementary school festival earlier this month, maybe I shouldn't have been so surprised to stumble upon the best child singers I've ever heard.
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Salt Lake City.
Support local journalism by becoming a member.