Takeaways from the latest Chicago COVID data
Chicago's highest COVID positivity rates this week are in ZIP codes with majority white and high income populations, with one exception:
- The ZIP codes cover parts of Lakeview (60657), Lincoln Park (60642), West Town (60607), Norwood Park (60656), Dunning (60634) and Mount Greenwood (60655).
- Only one high-positivity ZIP (60617 Pullman and South Shore) hosts a predominantly Black population.
Why it matters: The data bucks earlier trends where COVID largely hit low-income communities of color. Still all of these ZIP codes remain under 4% positivity, compared to a city rate over 14% last November.
More good news: After showing some very low vaccination rates a few weeks ago, Chicago ZIP codes with high concentrations of city workers (60655 and 60656) have improved a lot.
- 60656 (including Norwood Park) reached 63.2% vaccinated.
- 60655 (including Mount Greenwood) reached 66.3%.
New and improved: Last week CPS launched a new COVID site that is updated daily and shares all reported cases.
- Quarantined staff and students now total 6,965
More Chicago stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Chicago.