When stores are open for Black Friday deals
Black Friday is once again expected to be one of the busiest shopping days of the year, according to holiday season predictions and consumer surveys.
Why it matters: With the lure of saving money, more consumers are expected to shop Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales than last year to push back against inflationary pressure, a new survey from Deloitte found.
- Eight in 10 consumers plan to shop during the five-day holiday period (Thanksgiving through Monday), up from 71% last year, per Deloitte.
- Retailers have extended the holiday shopping season with weeks of early sales to help consumers spread out their spending.
Context: The National Retail Federation estimates 166.3 million people are planning to shop between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday.
- That's almost 8 million more people than last year and the highest estimate since the federation started tracking this data in 2017.
Meanwhile, more consumers are expected to return to in-store shopping this year, a Samba TV and HarrisX report found.
Black Friday store openings
By the numbers: While hours vary by retailer and sometimes by location, 5am is the earliest opening hour with Best Buy, Kohl's and JCPenney opening.
- Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's and Macy's open at 6am.
- Target, Marshalls, T.J. Maxx and HomeGoods open at 7am.
Black Friday coupon giveaways at JCPenney and Kohl's
What we're watching: When JCPenney and Kohl's open at 5am, they will treat early shoppers to coupon giveaways, according to their Black Friday ads.
- JCPenney shoppers who get the mystery coupons will get $10, $100, or $500 off select purchases.
- The first 200 shoppers at every Kohl’s store nationwide will win a prize ranging from Kohl’s Cash to a family trip to Legoland.
What they’re saying: Matt Voda, a marketing expert and CEO of OptiMine, told Axios that the coupon giveaways are an "exciting promotion" and a "way to stand out in a crowded Black Friday market."
- "Never underestimate the power of giveaways — they work, especially if the promise of savings are material for consumers who would benefit the most from them," Colleen McCreary, consumer financial advocate at Credit Karma, told Axios.
Black Friday hours 2022
Store hours can vary but here are when the nation's largest retailers will open Friday. In some cases, hours vary greatly so check with your closest stores.
- Academy Sports + Outdoors: 5am to 11pm
- Apple: Varies
- Athleta: Varies
- At Home: 6am to 11pm
- Banana Republic: Varies.
- Barnes & Noble: 8am to 9pm
- Bass Pro Shops: 5am to 9pm
- Bath & Body Works: Hours vary but many open at 6am
- Bed Bath & Beyond: Varies with many open 6am to 10pm. Note, Axios found many of the retailer's closing stores have reduced hours.
- Belk: Open 7am
- Best Buy: 5am to 10pm
- Big Lots: 6am to 11pm
- BJ's Wholesale Club: Open 7am
- Burlington: 7am to midnight
- buybuy Baby: Vary, but most open earlier than a normal Friday
- Costco Wholesale Club: Varies, but most 9am to 8:30pm
- CVS: Regular hours
- Dick's Sporting Goods: 6am to 10pm
- Dillard's: 9am to 8pm
- DSW: Varies, but most open 8am to 9 pm
- Five Below: 8am to 10pm
- GameStop: Stores open as early as 5am
- Gap: Varies
- Guitar Center: 8am to 9pm
- Hobby Lobby: 8am to 9pm
- Home Depot: Open 6am
- HomeGoods: 7am to 10pm
- H&M: Varies
- Jared: 10am to 8pm
- JCPenney: 5am to 10pm
- Joann Stores: 6am to 9pm
- Kay Jewelers: Varies
- Kohl's: 5am to 11pm
- Lowe's: Open 6am
- Macy's: 6am to 11:59pm
- Marshalls: 7am to 10pm
- Menards: Open 6am
- Michaels: 7am to 10pm
- Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack: Hours vary
- Office Depot/OfficeMax: 8am to 8pm
- Old Navy: Hours vary with some locations opening at 5am
- Petco: Varies
- PetSmart: 7am to 9pm
- Sam's Club: Varies by membership level
- Sephora: Varies
- Shoe Carnival: 7am to 9pm
- Staples: 9am to 8pm
- Target: 7am to 10pm
- T.J. Maxx: 7am to 10pm
- Ulta Beauty: 6am to 10pm
- Walgreens: Regular hours
- Walmart: 6am to 11pm
- World Market: 8am to 8pm
Thanksgiving store hours 2022
Expect more stores and grocery stores to be closed on Thanksgiving than are open.
- Walmart, Target, Best Buy, and department stores are among the stores closed. Check out the full list of open and closed stores.
- Many restaurants will also be closed Thursday. But some Starbucks and McDonald's will be open. Here's the list of restaurants open.
Editor's note: This story has been updated with additional information.
More from Axios