Amazon Prime Day kicks off, plus sales at Target, Best Buy, Kohl’s
Driving the news: Before Amazon kicked off its 48-hour sale early Tuesday, "Black Friday in July" sales had already begun at Macy's and Best Buy, while Target's Deal Days were also underway.
The big picture: The average U.S. shopper plans to spend $388 on Prime Day this year — down from $595 during last year’s Prime Day spend, according to data from RetailMeNot.
- Of those $388, RetailMeNot said $233 will be spent at Amazon and $155 at competing retailers.
- 47% of Americans wait for Prime Day to make their biggest purchases of the year, RetailMeNot found.
- 85% of consumers are planning to shop for school supplies during Prime Day.
Here is a rundown of the biggest sales taking place this week.
What time do Prime Day deals start?
Amazon has had early Prime Day deals since June, but Prime Day officially started at midnight PST (3 a.m. EST) Tuesday, July 12.
- Deals will drop throughout the sale, Amazon told Axios, recommending Prime members "visit often to discover new deals."
- The sale is expected to end late Wednesday pacific time.
Amazon Prime Day deals 2022
Amazon said this Prime Day it will be offering some of its "lowest prices ever" on items including select Bose and Sony headphones and Fire TVs.
What we're watching: A 50-inch Amazon Fire TV 4K UHD Smart TV is $99.99, Amazon said, which is 79% off the listed price of $469.99. A specific time for the deal was not listed and as of 10:35 a.m. ET Tuesday, the TV was selling for $259.99.
- Amazon devices are also discounted, including a Fire TV Stick Lite for $11.99, 55% discount on Kindle Kids ($49.99) and up to 40% on Ring home safety devices.
- Clothes, home goods including small appliances and pet food are all on sale, the retailer said.
Starbucks half off cold drinks Tuesday deal
Every Tuesday in July at Starbucks, including Prime Day, Starbucks Rewards loyalty members get 50% off one handcrafted cold beverage with an offer in its app at participating locations nationwide.
Details: The deal excludes "ready to drink, bottled beverages and alcohol" and cannot "be combined with other offers or discounts," according to the offer's fine print.
Best Buy "Black Friday in July"
Best Buy’s "Black Friday in July" started Monday, July 11 and ends Wednesday, July 13, with up to $300 off select laptops and TVs as low as $79.99.
What they're saying: "July 11-13, we’re bringing you tons of savings on the season’s latest tech including laptops, TVs, headphones, smartphones and more," Best Buy said in a news release.
Target Deal Days 2022: 5% off store gift cards
Target's Deal Days sale is back for the fourth year, starting early Monday and running through Wednesday.
Details: Target's sale is online only but shoppers can choose in-store pickup on many items where available.
Top deals: 5% off Target store gift cards on Target.com.
- Spend $50 on food and beverage and get a $10 Target gift card with same-day services (pickup or Shipt delivery)
- Save up to $70 on Apple products and up to 50% off select tech items
- 50% off select apparel and accessories for the family and toys
Macy's "Black Friday in July"
Macy’s "Black Friday in July" sale started last week and ends Wednesday, July 13, the retailer told Axios.
- There are specials in-store and online across all categories in apparel, accessories, beauty and home.
Kohl's Summer Cyber Deals plus clearance discount
Kohl’s Summer Cyber Deals sale runs Tuesday and Wednesday online and offers free shipping on all orders.
- Kohl's will also have in-store and online "Bonus BOGO $1 deals" Monday through Thursday.
- Shoppers can earn $10 in Kohl's Cash for every $50 spent.
- For a limited time, get an extra 50% off all clearance in-store and online.
Walmart rollback clearance sale
Meanwhile, Walmart is not holding a "Deals for Days" sale like it has in the past, which competed with Prime Day.
State of play: Walmart has new rollbacks or clearance markdowns, the company told Axios.
An Axios reporter spotted two MyPillow products marked down on clearance in a store in Coral Springs, Florida over the weekend.
- Walmart said last month that it will stop selling MyPillow products in stores but will continue selling them online.
Nordstrom anniversary sale
Nordstrom’s anniversary sale kicks off Friday, July 15 except for Nordy Club cardmembers who have had early access since last week.
- The department store chain called the sale its “highly anticipated and biggest shopping event of the year” in a news release.
- Prices go back up on Aug. 1, Nordstrom said.