UW football coach DeBoer is leaving; Jedd Fisch will replace him
The University of Washington has hired a new head football coach after Kalen DeBoer agreed last week to take over head coaching duties at the University of Alabama.
Driving the news: The UW announced Sunday it would replace DeBoer with Jedd Fisch, who has spent the past three seasons as the University of Arizona's head football coach.
Why it matters: DeBoer recently led the Washington Huskies to the College Football Playoff championship game, helping the team win 25 of its 28 matchups the past two seasons.
- That's a big turnaround from the 4–8 season the Huskies had in 2021 (even though they ultimately lost this year's championship game to Michigan).
Catch up quick: In Alabama, DeBoer will replace Nick Saban, who announced his retirement Wednesday.
- At a press conference Saturday, DeBoer said he was attracted to "the tradition and the history" of Alabama's program, which he called "second to none."
- DeBoer added that Alabama was "one of the few places, maybe the only place" that would have caused him to consider leaving UW.
Background: Under Saban, Alabama won nine SEC titles and six national championships in 17 seasons, ESPN reported.
- The University of Washington, meanwhile, claims only two college football championships in all of its history.
- Both those UW titles — from 1991 and 1960 — are shared with other teams, dating to an era when college football championships were determined by polls that didn't always agree.
What they're saying: Shortly before boarding a plane to Seattle this weekend, Fisch said his goal is to help the Huskies win their first outright national title next year.
- "Let's go get that championship we've been talking about," Fisch said in a video posted by UW's football program on Sunday.
Between the lines: Although DeBoer was in the middle of negotiating a contract extension at Washington, during his time there he wasn't one of college football's best-paid coaches.
- According to USA Today, DeBoer's $4.2 million annual salary at UW made him the 44th best-paid coach in college football.
- By contrast, Saban's salary at Alabama — more than $11 million — made him the top-paid NCAA football coach.
By the numbers: It wasn't immediately clear how much DeBoer will be making in his new role at Alabama, but sources told ESPN the deal will more than double his salary.
- That would make DeBoer one of the 10 highest-paid coaches in the top tier of college football, the network reported.
- That's "far and away the richest contract in UW athletics history," wrote sports writer Christian Caple of On Montlake, a site dedicated to covering the Huskies.
What's next: With several Husky football stars planning to leave for the NFL, the 2024 season is looking to be an uncertain one for Washington.
More Seattle stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Seattle.