Salt Lake's new 85°C Bakery Cafe is drawing crowds
Customers are lining up out the door at South Salt Lake's new 85°C Bakery Cafe — and there's so much to choose from.
Driving the news: Taiwan-based 85°C opened its first Utah location about a month ago in the Chinatown mall near 3300 South State St.
Details: I asked a few of 85°C's new regulars for recommendations and can enthusiastically second each of these.
- The milk tea buns are the star of the show — like boba in a doughnut. The white chocolate strawberry buns are pillowy and sweet, a close second.
- The cinnamon twists are wildly popular; if the shelf is empty, ask the staff whether more are coming.
- Milk pudding buns are the prettiest on the shelf; the custard doesn't flood the roll as you bite in, which is good because you might need to share these big treats.
- Pineapple cakes, sold in three-packs, are more like soft shortbreads with fruit filling.
- The milk butter puff pastry has a creamy but not overly sweet filling slathered on the inside.
- On the savory side, the cheese dog takes the humble hot dog to places you didn't think it would go. Someone alert Mitt.
More Salt Lake City stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Salt Lake City.