Subscribe to Axios Des Moines
Get smarter, faster with a daily look at the biggest stories in Des Moines
Iowa is testing a new recycled plastic mixture in asphalt in several spots across the metro in hopes of extending the life of roadways.
Why it matters: Inclement Iowa weather, like today's Saskatchewan screamer, can take a serious toll on our roads.
- Taxpayers could save tens of millions of dollars in future annual road expenses if the experiments work.
2021 was a strange year for music in Des Moines and 2022 seems like it'll continue that way as Omicron shakes up venues and festivals.
- Sam Summers, owner of Wooly's and First Fleet Concerts, shared with Axios what to expect from the local scene.
Don't let the winter slump take ahold of your weekend plans. Here's what's going on in the Des Moines metro.
🛍 Find your favorite thrifted sweater at the Vintage & Sustainable Market at Art Terrarium, starting at 10am.
It's cheaper to rent a three-bedroom property in the majority of the Des Moines metro than it is to buy a median-priced home, according to a new report by real estate database company ATTOM.
Why it matters: While home prices in Des Moines are more stable than many parts of the U.S., the metro's median price is continuing to rise.
Replacing Des Moines' animal shelter is expected to cost nearly $10 million, according to a new estimate shared by city engineer Steve Naber.
Why it matters: Projected costs have gone up about 80% since the plan was announced in 2019.
- The City Council rejected a $5.8 million bid last year and delayed construction to create a better design, invest in energy-efficient materials and seek federal assistance, Mayor Frank Cownie said.
Iowa's organ donations and transplants hit record highs last year, according to the Iowa Donor Network.
Driving the news: Medical advancements are the biggest factor, Heather Butterfield, a network spokesperson, told Axios this week.
Polk County Supervisor Matt McCoy was removed from almost all county-appointed boards, committees and commissions through a resolution approved by the other four supervisors Tuesday.
- His remaining role is the last alternate — behind the other supervisors — to the Mid-Iowa Association of Local Governments.
Why it matters: The Democrat and former state senator is running for re-election this year.
- And without the appointments, McCoy will no longer have a say in certain county business.
Gov. Kim Reynolds gave her fourth annual Condition of the State address Tuesday night, prioritizing tax cuts and worker shortages in her speech.
Some of her proposals:
- Gradually set income tax to a flat 4% rate over the next four years, as well as eliminate retirement income tax.
- Reduce state unemployment benefit eligibility from six to four months.