Jan 26, 2023 - Business
13 Colorado chefs and restaurants score 2023 James Beard nominations
Thirteen Colorado chefs and restaurants were named Wednesday among the nation's best as semifinalists for a James Beard award.
Why it matters: Taking home a James Beard award, which is like an Oscar in the food industry, can put a restaurant on the map.
Details: Here are the local semifinalists:
- Outstanding restaurateur: Kelly Whitaker, with Id Est Hospitality Group (Basta, The Wolf's Tailor, and BRUTØ)
- Outstanding chef: Josh Niernberg, Bin 707 Foodbar in Grand Junction and Dana Rodriguez, Super Mega Bien in Denver
- Emerging chef: Bo Porytko, Misfit SnackBar in Denver
- Best new restaurant: The Friar's Fork in Alamosa
- Outstanding pastry chef or baker: Ismael de Sousa, Reunion Bread in Denver
- Outstanding hospitality: Pêche in Palisade
- Outstanding beverage program: Sunday Vinyl in Denver
- Best chef — Mountain (CO, ID, MT, UT): Jose Avila, La Diabla Pozole y Mezcal in Denver; Michael Diaz de Leon, BRUTØ in Denver; C. Barclay Dodge, Bosq in Aspen; Cindhura Reddy, Spuntino in Denver; Penelope Wong, Yuan Wonton in Denver
Between the lines: For many, this is not the first year they received nominations.
- In 2022, Annette's Caroline Glover won best chef for the mountain region.
What's next: The award winners will be announced June 5.
More Denver stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Denver.