Recipe: Italian beef breakfast casserole
If you woke up this morning wondering how you could turn an iconic Chicago sandwich into an easy and high-protein breakfast, then it's your lucky day.
What's happening: I dreamed up this Italian beef strata/casserole after experimenting with Italian beef stuffing over the holidays.
- It combines pillowy cubes of gravied bread with the hot giardiniera, creamy cheese, hearty beef and sweet peppers all in one fluffy, crispy egg mass.
Ingredients: Two dipped (vegan or regular) Italian beef sandwiches preferably with cheese and hot and sweet peppers.
- Six eggs
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- Extra sweet peppers or giardiniera for top garnish.
Directions: Butter a pie or 8x8 casserole dish and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Beat eggs and cream in a large bowl.
- Chop up the sandwich as finely or chunkily as you want.
- Combine with egg mixture and mix well.
- Empty mixture into buttered dish and bake at 375° for about 30 minutes or until top is puffy and golden brown.
Of note: For a creamier casserole, cover the mixture with plastic wrap and a heavy plate and place in the fridge overnight so the bread can really soak up the eggs and cream. Bake in the morning.
More Chicago stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Chicago.