As Chicago celebrates the Sky, the NBA's Bulls open their regular season tonight in Detroit. If you catch the game, you may be surprised to see all the new faces.
- Justin is here to help you fake it when cheering for this year's Chicago Bulls.
The big picture: The pundits all say the Bulls are back. They haven't made the playoffs since 2017 (Rajon Rondo, anyone?) and haven't finished over .500 since 2016.
- And yet because of the new roster, fans are expecting the Bulls to make the playoffs. Act accordingly.
What's happening: The front office has completely overhauled this roster. Free agent guards Lonzo Ball, DeMar DeRozan and Alex Caruso are now here, along with rookie Ayo Dosunmu.
- Yep, Dosunmu is the star that took Illini to the NCAA Tournament last year. So a "that guy looks familiar" or "I knew Ayo was a star" will give you instant basketball cred.
- No more Lauri Markkanen. Throw in a "whatever happened to that Finnish dude" and you will be invited to future games.
The latest: The Bulls went undefeated in the preseason, which means nothing. Don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise. Argue. Stand your ground. You are right.
- And if you haven't been around since the Jordan years, you'll notice one big difference — the Bulls switched home and away colors a couple years back, meaning their iconic white jerseys are reserved for the road.
- "I hate they aren't wearing white at the UC" will get you instant respect and maybe even an invite to the next watch party.
The bottom line: Bennie the Bull is still the best mascot in the NBA.
More Chicago stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Chicago.