How to enjoy a sober October sports season
👋 Monica here: As we head into a big sports week I'm hoping to be invited to some groovy watching parties — ideally outdoors with vaccinated guests.
- But I'm a little tired of the eye rolls when I show up with the usual case of sparkling water.
- So I jumped at the chance to try a press sample of non-alcoholic craft beer made locally at Big Drop Brewing.
Why it matters: Most non-alcoholic beers taste like junk, so showing up with a awesome local version could instantly boost my popularity — and allow designated drivers (and other abstainers) to enjoy some tasty brewskis with their cheese dip during the game.
🍺 My tasting notes:
- Pine Trail Pale Ale: Refreshing with a grapefruit-y hello.
- Galactic Extra Dark: A fine coffee nose with a nice malty finish.
- Big Drop Paradiso IPA: Hints of lychee with a lovely final note of bitter grapefruit.
The verdict: I'd proudly bring these brews to the big game — and maybe not even let on that they're non-alcoholic.
More Chicago stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Chicago.