Sep 28, 2023 - Politics & Policy
Trump links Haley to Hillary Clinton during GOP debate
- "In a 2012 interview with the New York Times, Nikki Haley said, 'The reason I actually ran for office is because of Hillary Clinton,'" Trump's campaign said in a statement on Wednesday titled "The Real Nikki Haley."
- He also criticized Haley's stances on the war in Ukraine and immigration.
Be smart: In the 2012 interview, Haley was answering a question asking why there were few women of her generation in high-level politics.
- "It's not because the challenge is too hard," Haley said. "It's simply because women don't run."
- She said she heard Clinton on a leadership panel say that people often tell women the reasons they should not run for office, "but that's all the reasons why we need you to do it," Haley said.
- Haley said she left the panel realizing that she would run, and eventually became governor of South Carolina.
- "Everybody was telling me why I shouldn't run: I was too young, I had small children, I should start at the school board level," Haley said.
State of play: Trump has not participated in either of the two GOP debates.
- The former president is polling well ahead of the rest of the Republican primary field despite mounting legal trouble.