Taste test: Trader Joe's Thanksgiving foods
After Axios Chicago reviewed Aldi's special holiday foods, we decided to see if Trader Joes' Thanksgiving-themed foods would be up to par for your dinner table.
State of gobble: We tried whatever we could find in the Tampa and St. Pete locations this week and rated them out of five 🦃.
Ben's takes, in six words:
- Peppermint Chocolate Chunk Cookie Mix: Requires little effort, difficult to eat. 🦃🦃🦃
- Turkey Sausage Stuffing Fried Rice: Nothing about this says Thanksgiving. 🦃🦃
- Turkey Flavored Gravy: Thin as your aunt Beverly Anne's. 🦃🦃
- Camembert Cheese and Cranberry Sauce Fillo Bites: Delicious goodness wrapped in paper napkins. 🦃🦃🦃
- Gingerbread Cake & Cookie Mix: Tastes mildly disappointing, like Christmas past. 🦃🦃🦃🦃
- Baker Josef's Gluten-Free Cornbread Mix: Sweet and dense, like corn cake. 🦃🦃
- Green Bean Casserole Bites: Much tastier than expected! Also filo based, so maybe don't pair with Camembert bites. 🦃🦃🦃🦃
- Breaded Turkey-Less Stuffed Roast With Gravy: This is a giant vegan chicken nugget. And the gravy is basically salt and pepper water. Good to appease the family vegan with an all-in-one option, but disappointing as a centerpiece. If you're vegetarian, get the Quorn kind. Or get TJ's smaller vegan stuffed roast and make your own vegan gravy. 🦃🦃
- Creamed Greens: OK as a dip, but gross as a side. 🦃
🍽 What we'd actually serve: The casserole bites and gingerbread cookies. Everything else was a little too good to be true.
More Tampa Bay stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Tampa Bay.