Salt Lake City's newest food hall opens, slinging tacos, barbecue and more
Salt Lake City's newest food hall, The Local Market + Bar, opens Tuesday.
Details: The 7,500-square-foot modern cafeteria, operated by Hospitality HQ, is located in the Central City neighborhood.
The patchwork of seven culinary concepts is anchored by a single bar that serves a creative selection of beverages — boozy and otherwise. The eateries include:
- Crave offers breakfast items and lighter lunch fare such as salads and sandwiches.
- Green Chile House specializes in New Mexican cuisine, including tacos, burritos and nachos.
- Hog & Tradition's menu features southern barbecue staples like smoked brisket, pulled pork and mac and cheese.
- Lamb & Feta has Greek fare, including gyros and souvlaki.
- Luna Pizza's brick oven cooks up classic Neapolitan-style pies.
- Pop's Burgers slings classic American burgers, spicy chicken sandwiches and hot dogs.
- The Cereal Killerz Kitchen sells ice cream, milkshakes and cereal bowls.
- Good Bar serves a selection of beer, wine, cocktails and zero-proof drinks.
The big picture: Food halls are no longer the old-school, big-box concepts found at shopping malls. They now feature high-quality menus attached to big-name chefs, per QSR magazine.
What they're saying: "It's a concept that is already more developed in other larger metropolitan areas," general manager Fathom Croteau told Axios. "To have spaces like this pop up here really lends to the fact that Salt Lake's social scene and food scene is growing very quickly."
- Geoff Patmides, owner and chef of Hog & Tradition and Lamb & Feta, told Axios he was first approached by Hospitality HQ after they visited his old restaurant The Local Greek in Taylorsville, which closed.
- "You gotta check your ego at the door. Yeah, it's direct competition, but every concept is a little different. People are not always going to want to eat the same thing anyway, so you're going to get that variety," he said about sharing the space with different eateries.
Zoom out: This is the third food hall in Salt Lake City since 2019.
- The first, HallPass, opened in 2019 at The Gateway. The second, Woodbine, launched in the Granary District last year.
Editor's note: This story has been corrected to include Pop's Burgers in the list of culinary concepts at The Local Market + Bar.
More Salt Lake City stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Salt Lake City.