Share of Oregonians who are veterans
More than a quarter of a million veterans call Oregon home, according to census data.
- That's 7.4% of the state's adult (18+) population.
Why it matters: Saturday is Veterans Day, a chance to honor those who served in the armed forces.
The big picture: Nationwide, there isn't a strong enough safety net for the service people who risk their lives to keep us safe.
- In Oregon, more than 10% of those experiencing homelessness are veterans.
- About seven out of 100 veterans are living with PTSD.
Here are a few ways to support veterans, and their families, this holiday.
1. Donate. There are a slew of organizations that help veterans in big and small ways.
3. Help families. There are hundreds of thousands of families dealing with the loss of an active-duty or veteran loved one. You can donate to many organizations, such as Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS), that offer resources for those families.
4. Say thank you.
Editor's note: This story has been corrected to reflect that Veterans Day is Saturday (not Friday).
More Portland stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Portland.