Pennsylvania craft brewers among top producers
Four of Pennsylvania's craft brewers were among the country's top 50 producers last year, even as the industry faces an inflection point.
- #6: Artisanal Brewing Ventures, a collection of breweries that owns Victory Brewing Company in Downingtown, rose two spots from last year.
- #25: Troegs Brewing Co., based in Hershey, slipped one spot in the rankings.
- #31: Pittsburgh Brewing Co., which didn't make the list last year, nabbed a ranking.
The intrigue: All four landed in the top 50 U.S. breweries overall, a club dominated by Anheuser-Busch and Molson Coors.
State of beer: The number of new craft breweries opening decreased for the second consecutive year, while the closings rate increased to 3%.
Yes, but: Craft fared better than the overall beer market, which saw production volume decline 3% in 2022. And the number of craft breweries overall climbed to an all-time high of 9,552.
By the numbers: Pennsylvania has more than 500 active breweries, per the Brewers Association.
- 46 breweries opened last year while 17 closed.
What they’re saying: Craft beer's boom over the last decade appears to have ended as growth and sales slow and competition increases, Bart Watson, chief economist for the Brewers Association, tells Axios.
- The industry is "going to have to find some new direction and new opportunities if it’s going to grow like it did before," he said.
What to watch: Challenges facing brewers this year include inflation, labor shortages, competition and market access, Watson said.
More Philadelphia stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Philadelphia.