Your guide to Philly's salsa scene
My fiancé and I started learning how to dance salsa a few months ago, something we've always talked about but finally took on to prepare for our wedding. And despite taking classes once a week, we're still ... exceptionally average.
- We've knocked knees, forgotten steps and once one of us (OK, it was me) wore such grippy shoes we both had to finish the lesson in our socks.
Why it matters: Learning new skills can sharpen our minds and bodies — and keep us grounded.
- Many of us don't try new things because we're afraid of failure. But failing can be fun!
I often feel a wave of nerves before our lessons, worrying that we didn't practice enough or that I'll mess up a move. And usually, we didn't — and I will.
- But we'll laugh it off and leave the night with smiles on our faces, feeling closer to each other than before.
The bottom line: There are plenty of ways to get out of your comfort zone, whether it's solo or with a loved one. Just keep at it, even if it's hard.
Where to go: If you've ever wanted to take salsa lessons, Philly's got options.
- Here are some of the studios and groups I found in my search for an instructor:
Estilo Dance Studio: This Fishtown spot offers private and group lessons in Latin dances including salsa, bachata and mambo.
- A single private lesson starts at $85, while a group lesson is $30. Discounted packages are available.
Urban Movement Arts: Located in Center City, UMA has private and group instruction in salsa and bachata for all skill levels. Private lessons start at $60 ($40 for virtual), or $15 for a group class ($10 virtual).
- Plus, they offer membership deals, including half off your first month if you sign up between now and Sunday.
Albasario Dance Company: This studio in North Philly offers group salsa lessons on Monday and Wednesday nights, starting at $20 for drop-ins. You can also take private lessons ($70+).
More Philadelphia stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Philadelphia.