Fewer Arkansas kids are getting vaccinated
Add Axios as your preferred source to
see more of our stories on Google.


Vaccination rates among American kindergartners decreased during the 2025–2026 school year for all tracked vaccines, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported on Monday.
Why it matters: The drop-off coincided with continued efforts by the Trump administration to make controversial vaccine policy changes and with measles cases hitting levels not seen in more than three decades.
The big picture: Exemptions from getting one or more vaccines increased in 41 states, including Arkansas, and the District of Columbia, growing to 4.2% from 3.6% the year before.
Zoom in: The rate of children with vaccine exemptions in Arkansas in the 2025-2026 school year was about 4.6%, higher than the national rate of 4.2%.
- Data for this school year won't be available until the spring, Arkansas Department of Health spokesperson Sarah Morris told Axios.
- The Arkansas Center for Health Improvement previously reported that the vast majority of vaccine exemptions in the state are not for medical reasons.
By the numbers: Coverage with the MMR, DTaP, polio and varicella vaccines decreased in more than half of states, ranging from 92% for diphtheria, tetanus and acellular pertussis (DTaP) vaccine to 92.4% for the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) and polio vaccines.
- Public health officials say overall measles vaccination rates should remain above 95% to maintain herd immunity.
What they're saying: The CDC, in a statement, said the data showed a 0.1% decline in vaccination coverage among children entering kindergarten.
Yes, but: It only takes a small drop in the vaccination rate to make herd immunity against measles plummet.
- The new data also doesn't indicate how many community clusters may actually have seen much greater declines.
Between the lines: Polling shows childhood vaccines remain popular, but administration efforts to upend longstanding vaccine policies could further erode trust in vaccines and public health, medical experts say.
- President Trump last week signed an executive order calling for a slimmed-down childhood vaccine schedule and breaking the MMR vaccine into three separately administered shots.
- It also advises states to review federal vaccine recommendations and update their requirements for school enrollment.
Capital Alpha Partners analyst Kim Monk wrote in a note Monday that any official vaccine scheduling recommendations or policy changes stemming from the order are expected to be challenged in court.
- "As with past administration attempts to change or influence vaccine schedules, we think it's likely that providers and stakeholder groups will continue to ignore this advice, although these developments certainly don't help with ongoing vaccine hesitancy," Monk wrote.
What's next: The CDC said it continues to encourage parents to discuss vaccination options with their doctors.


