We are now at 1,624 tons of dead fish that have been pulled from the waters surrounding Pinellas County.
- It’s hard to think about how big that is, but we tried out best to show you with a little local flair.
- Pile 'em all up and they'd go a decent way up the Beer Can Building in downtown Tampa. (We'll leave you to imagine the smell.)
Some scale: The heaviest blue whale on record weighed 200 tons. This is more than eight times that.
According to themeasureofthings.com, that's also ...
- 🗽 11 times as heavy as the Statue of Liberty (without its base).
- 🦖 250 Tyrannosaurus rexes.
- 🚗 About 900 cars.
- 🚀 21 Space Shuttles.
Now that you’ve got a grip on all that dead fish, here’s some better news: Pinellas County spokesman Tony Fabrizio told Axios things are moving in the right direction from our ongoing red tide threat.
- "We’re encouraged. It looked a lot better over the last two days. But the Gulf temperature is really high — 88 degrees. We’re hopeful at this point."
More Tampa Bay stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Tampa Bay.