Spurs' new outdoor space opening in San Antonio
Frost Plaza, the Spurs' new community gathering space, is opening on Sunday with a watch party.
Why it matters: The new venue at The Rock shows the Spurs' dedication to fan engagement and the community as the brand grows into Austin and gains more recognition amid the buzz surrounding rookie Victor Wembanyama.
Details: Frost Plaza has seating capacity for more than 2,500 people.
- It features a 40-foot outdoor screen and splash pad and will have a neighboring restaurant next spring.
What's happening: A ribbon cutting will take place at 3pm, and the free official watch party will start at 4pm. The Spurs tip off against the Miami Heat at 6pm.
- The first 500 guests will get a Spurs-themed concha.
- There will also be food, including chicken fingers and burgers, and specialty cocktails available for purchase.
- Fans are encouraged to bring blankets and lawn chairs.
Be smart: Coolers, tents and outside food and drinks are not allowed. Dogs are allowed on the plaza, but must be on a leash, according to new information provided by Spurs Sports and Entertainment.
Flashback: The Spurs broke ground on The Rock in late 2021. Victory Capital Performance Center, the team's state-of-the-art practice facility, opened in October.
- The Rock also features community trails and a 7.5-acre dog park, which opened in the spring.
What they're saying: "We envisioned Frost Plaza with our fans and community in mind as we looked to build a unique and multipurpose space where we can engage with them in new and exciting ways," Spurs Sports and Entertainment CEO RC Buford said in a statement.
What's next: The plaza will be used for watch parties, movie screenings and seasonal programs.
- Spurs spokesperson Lucy Kaneb tells Axios that fans can expect holiday-themed events this year. A full list of programs will be shared soon.
- The new space will give the Spurs more opportunities to connect with the community and local vendors, Kaneb says.
Editor's note: This story has been updated to reflect that dogs are allowed on the plaza on a leash, per new information from Spurs Sports and Entertainment.
More San Antonio stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios San Antonio.