The Soccer Tournament returns to Cary in 2024, with the addition of a women's tournament
The Soccer Tournament, a seven-on-seven soccer tournament in which teams compete for a $1 million prize, is returning to Cary's WakeMed Soccer Park for its second year from June 5-10.
- For the first time, next year's edition will include a women's tournament with a prize also equal to $1 million.
- Last year, women's teams also competed with men's teams for the overall prize — but next year's set-up will ensure both the men's and women's brackets will compete for the same prize total.
Why it matters: The high-profile soccer tournament last year featured many star players, such as Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan and Heather O'Reilly, and attracted 35,000 people to Cary to watch the tournament.
Details: TST's organizers said the tournament will expand from 32 teams to 48.
- The women's tournament will have an eight-team field.
- Applications for teams to enter the tournament are open, and last year more than 400 teams applied to play.
What they're saying: In a release, Jon Mugar, the founder of the tournament, said he anticipates The Soccer Tournament will once again attract high-level players to Cary.
- "This instantly becomes one of the highest stakes events in all of
women's sports, with the only thing standing between teams and one million dollars being four exceptional hours of soccer," he said in a statement. "This will attract some of the most talented players and clubs from around the world."
More Raleigh stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Raleigh.