Northwest Arkansas trolls Austin
OZ Brands is offering to buy 10 Austinites a one-way ticket to paradise.
What's happening: The Bentonville-based company is accepting applications through Oct. 29 from residents of Austin, Texas to win an airline ticket to XNA, a $350 Visa gift card and a $150 gift card from Ropeswing Hospitality (The Preacher's Son, Pressroom, Sunny's). The promotion is called One Way Out.
- Applicants must be 18 or older and provide basic contact information.
- Entries will be judged on their 250-word essays that answer: "Why do you need a break from Austin?"
- Originality, humor and creativity will be considered.
Context: The gimmick, of course, is the one-way ticket because "... once visitors see the hidden gem of the Northwest Arkansas region, they won’t want to leave!"
- OZ Brands (OZ Art, OZ Trails and Fly OZ) claims Austin residents must be tired of the traffic, tourists and cost of living.
Why it matters: There are an estimated 10,000 open jobs in NWA and not enough people to fill them.
- Workers in Austin — especially those in tech fields — are coveted by NWA recruiters and economic developers. Getting them to relocate here is seen as a win-win due to the high quality of life.
Flashback: The Northwest Arkansas Council recently launched a snarky ad campaign in various markets, including Austin, to encourage residents to move to NWA.
What to watch: Winners will be announced on Nov. 5.
More NW Arkansas stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios NW Arkansas.