FBI finds no classified docs at Biden's Delaware beach home
The FBI did not find any documents with classified markings during its Wednesday search of President Biden's home in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, as part of the ongoing probe into his handling of classified documents, according to Biden's personal attorney.
Driving the news: "The DOJ took for further review some materials and handwritten notes that appear to relate to his time as Vice President," Bob Bauer said in a statement.
- The search lasted from 8:30 a.m. until noon, per Bauer.
- Bauer noted the process was consistent with a previously reported earlier search in January at Biden's other Delaware residence.
Bauer confirmed that the search was happening earlier Wednesday, saying: "Under DOJ’s standard procedures, in the interests of operational security and integrity, it sought to do this work without advance public notice, and we agreed to cooperate."
- "The search today is a further step in a thorough and timely DOJ process we will continue to fully support and facilitate."
The big picture: The third known search connected to Biden's handling of classified records comes after Attorney General Merrick Garland appointed a special counsel to investigate the matter.
- The FBI searched the Penn Biden Center in mid-November after the White House discovered classified documents there from Biden's time as vice president, multiple outlets reported Tuesday — a detail that was not previously disclosed publicly by the White House.
- The FBI on Jan. 20 conducted a 13-hour search at the president's home in Wilmington, Delaware, Biden's attorney previously said.
- NBC News first reported on the search at Biden's Rehoboth Beach house.
Zoom out: Bipartisan calls for reforms to the classified document system are mounting following the series of discoveries of government records, including at former Vice President Mike Pence's home in Indiana last month.
- Republican strategists are touting the string of classified document discoveries as a political gift for former President Trump, who is in the midst of his own special counsel investigation into his handling of classified documents, despite the cases having clear differences.
Editor's note: This story and headline have been updated with additional background and reporting, including that the FBI's search at Biden's Rehoboth home concluded.