Starbucks holiday drinks return to menu Thursday
Starbucks is switching seasons and rolling out its holiday menu Thursday.
Why it matters: The coffee giant is capitalizing on holiday cheer, similar to the buzz it created with the return of the Pumpkin Spice Latte in late August, which led to the highest sales week in Starbucks’ history.
- The pumpkin drinks, including the PSL, are scheduled to be available for the holiday season, Starbucks told Axios.
Starbucks holiday menu 2022
Starbucks holiday drinks and seasonal food items return a day earlier than in 2021.
Details: Seasonal beverages include the Peppermint Mocha, Caramel Brulée Latte, Chestnut Praline Latte, Toasted White Chocolate Mocha, Irish Cream Cold Brew and the nondairy Iced Sugar Cookie Almondmilk Latte.
- The holiday drinks are available for a limited time hot, iced and as a Frappuccino blended beverage in U.S. Starbucks stores, while supplies last.
- Two-thirds of beverages served at U.S. Starbucks are cold drinks and demand for the cool beverages is expected to continue outpacing hot beverage growth in the coming years, the company said.
Meanwhile, the Reindeer Cake Pop, Sugar Plum Cheese Danish, Cranberry Bliss Bar and Snowman Cookie return are joined by the new Chocolate Pistachio Swirl.
Flashback: It's the 20th anniversary of the Peppermint Mocha, which was released in 2002.
Starbucks red cups turn 25
Starbucks' first holiday cups — often called "red cups" — were introduced in 1997 and are as much a holiday tradition as the seasonal drinks.
- This year, Starbucks has four designs of the holiday cups, which the company said are "each wrapped up like a gift."
What they're saying: “We have always talked about the cups as little gifts, and we hope they feel like a festive present to our customers and store partners,” said Gary Jacobson, Starbucks' creative director for this year’s holiday campaign, in a statement.
Starbucks Red Cup Day 2022
Of note: A date for this year's Red Cup Day has not been announced.
- Starbucks gave away free reusable holiday cups with the purchase of handcrafted holiday drinks on Nov. 18 last year, which was two weeks after the holiday menu launched.
Dunkin' holiday drinks back with Cookie Butter products
Dunkin' brought back its holiday menu Wednesday with a few new additions, the chain announced in a news release.
Details: The chain added the Cookie Butter Cold Brew topped with a Cookie Butter Cold Foam and cookie butter crumbles along with a Cookie Butter doughnut.
- A Pancake Wake-Up Wrap also is part of the new menu.
- The Peppermint Mocha Signature Latte and Toasted White Chocolate Signature Latte are back.
Dunkin' free coffee and deals
Separately, the chain also announced new deals for members of the newly revamped Dunkin' Rewards program.
- Free Coffee Mondays return Nov. 7 for members and continue through Nov. 28, which is Cyber Monday.
- Members get a free medium hot or iced coffee with any purchase.
More Dunkin' deals available for members now through Nov. 29 include:
- A free Wake-Up Wrap with the purchase of any full-priced medium or larger beverage.
- A free bakery item with any full-priced medium or larger beverage purchase.
- Free hashbrowns with the purchase of any classic breakfast sandwich.
- There's also an offer for $1 any-size hot coffee and $2 any size iced coffee.
Editor's note: This story was updated with new details.
More from Axios: