Dunkin' fans heated over rewards program change
Dunkin’s recent revamp of its loyalty program has drawn critics who are bashing the chain on social media, calling it less rewarding.
- Several Dunkin' loyalty members have said they are uninstalling the Dunkin' app and that the changes devalue the program. Others have said they'll visit less.
Details: Dunkin’ Rewards members earn 10 points for every $1 spent compared with five points per dollar with DD Perks.
- DD Perks only offered free drink rewards for 200 points while the new program gives members a choice in redeeming points with rewards ranging from 150 to 900 points.
- Dunkin’ Rewards also adds a new loyalty tier — “Boosted Status” in which members who visit 12 times in a calendar month can earn 12 points per dollar spent for three months instead of 10 points per dollar.
Yes, but: Members need to collect more points to redeem a free drink reward, which range from 400 points for tea to 900 points for frozen drinks or signature lattes — up from 200 points with DD Perks.
- Not counting bonus points opportunities, a DD Perks member earned a free drink after spending $40.
State of play: With Dunkin’ Rewards, a member spending $40 will earn 400 points, which is enough to redeem for a free hot or iced tea.
- A member has to spend $50 for a 500-point free coffee and up to $90 to get a free signature latte or frozen drink for 900 points, not including Boosted Status or bonus opportunities.
The latest: Dunkin' President Scott Murphy defended most of the program changes on Yahoo Finance Live on Thursday, saying members wanted more variety, flexibility and recognition.
- Murphy did say the company is thinking about bringing back the popular birthday freebie, which was changed to a bonus points opportunity under the new program.
Dunkin' Rewards point values
The following are how many points are needed to redeem a freebie through Dunkin's program:
- 150 points equal one espresso shot added to a drink, a three-count of Munchkins or six-count hashbrowns.
- 250 points, a free classic doughnut
- 400 points, hot or iced tea in small, medium or large
- 500 points, hot or iced coffee in small, medium or large
- 600 points, Wake-Up wrap or a bagel with a spread
- 700 points, espresso, cold brew or Dunkin' refresher
- 800 points, breakfast sandwich
- 900 points, any size frozen drink or signature latte
Dunkin' Rewards deals through Halloween
Meanwhile, Dunkin announced that new and existing members can get a few freebies on the app when they purchase a medium or large drink through Oct. 31.
- An Axios reporter had four freebie offers with drink purchases on the app: free 10-count Munchkins, breakfast sandwich, muffin and Bagel Minis.
- Dunkin' is continuing to offer Mobile Mondays where members earn 100 bonus points when ordering ahead with the chain's app on Mondays.
Between the lines: The members-only offers have to be activated on the app and there's a limit of one per qualifying purchase. Offers can vary.
More from Axios: