Amazon's "Tampa Baes" to focus on the area's "young lesbian it-crowd"
Amazon Studios announced this week that it green-lighted "Tampa Baes," an 8-episode docuseries centered on the area's "young lesbian it-crowd" to be released this fall.
Why it matters: While TV's LGBTQ representation has progressed significantly over the years, mainstream reality shows like "Queer Eye" and "RuPaul's Drag Race" are mostly centered around queer men.
- Just like "The L Word" reboot took the opportunity to be more trans- and POC-inclusive, Amazon has a chance to change the narrative surrounding queer women in reality TV.
- So we're about to be living our own "L Word" fantasy! (And by that, I mean my fantasy of queer representation.)
The big question: Will "Tampa Baes" actually do that? We'll have to see.
- Showrunner Melissa Bidwell said in Amazon's release that viewers will relate to the cast whom she called "dynamic, refreshing and unlike any I’ve worked with — they certainly won’t disappoint!"
- The cast is mostly made of Tampa's stereotypical femme Instagram model-types. But people contain multitudes!
Who are the Baes? Selene did some social media s̶t̶a̶l̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ investigating.
- Appearing left to right in the press photo are Ali Myers, Nelly Ramirez, Shiva Pishdad, Jordan Whitley, Marissa Gialousis, Summer Mitchell, Cuppie Bragg, Brianna Murphy, Haley Grable, Melanie Posner, Olivia Mullins and Mack McKenzie.
The bottom line: Let's go, lesbians!!!
More Tampa Bay stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Tampa Bay.