Sarasota named top destination for movers in 2020
More people moved to Sarasota in 2020 than almost any other U.S. metro, according to Zillow’s latest study.
Big picture: The study looked at inbound and outbound moves, and Sarasota had the fifth-highest number of net inbound moves.
- Other top destinations (in order) included Phoenix, Charlotte, Austin and Dallas-Fort Worth.
Most new Sarasota residents relocated from Chicago, New York and Washington, D.C.
- Chicago, New York and Los Angeles has the most outbound moves overall.
It's not just Sarasota. Tampa Bay real estate agent James Adair — who handles most out-of-state moves for his team of 30 agents — says 80% of his clients are relocating from out-of-state.
- They're looking at at the Tampa Bay area broadly because they're attracted to the Florida lifestyle. That's typical of retirees, but young people still in the workforce are making the move now, too.
- Zillow's study also showed 31% of movers had been considering relocating for a a year or more. The ability to work remotely gave them the push to make the move.
Driving the Florida moves, according to Adair:
- Relative lower cost of living
- Warmer weather
- Lower income taxes
- Fewer COVID-19 restrictions
This story first appeared in the Axios Tampa Bay newsletter, designed to help readers get smarter, faster on the most consequential news unfolding in their own backyard.
More Tampa Bay stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Tampa Bay.