Evan Vucci / AP
- The immigration ban: The president said he has "no doubt" he'll eventually prevail in court and hinted that something is coming "very rapidly" next week on national security.
- TPP: Prime Minister Abe dodged multiple questions on TPP. Instead, he said he remained focused on a plan for VP Pence to begin a new economic dialogue with Japan's Deputy PM.
- 1 fun thing: Trump reportedly didn't wear his translation earpiece for Abe's opening statement.
- The U.S. is committed to the security of Japan: Both countries will invest heavily in "mutual defense." Trump specifically singled out the North Korean threat as "very, very high priority."
- Wants a trading relationship that is free, fair and reciprocal — "benefitting both of our countries."
- Asked about China's role in Asia: Trump mentions his call with President Xi yesterday, but spiraled away into a discussion on Obamacare.
Prime Minister Abe
- "Some people mistakenly pronounce my name as 'Abe' which is okay," because even in Japan everyone know the name of "the great president [Lincoln]."
- Large scale infrastructure investment: Abe said that Japan could help the U.S. build a bullet train from DC to NYC.