Spicer: deporting DREAMers isn't a White House "priority"
The top quote from Sean Spicer's press briefing today: "One of the beauties of history is that we don't repeat itself." (Has he ever watched one of his press briefings?) Today's highlights...
- Immigration executive orders: Spicer said that mass deportation is not the goal and that deporting criminals is "the number one priority." He said that with up to 15 million illegal immigrants in the United States, "the president wanted to take the shackles off individuals in the agencies [like DHS, ICE, and CBP]."
- McMaster: Spicer said that Trump's new national security advisor H.R. McMaster has "full authority to structure the office as he desires," insinuating Trump would even consider removing Steve Bannon from the NSC's Principals Committee if recommended.
- Obama administration's transgender bathroom guidance: "This should not involve the federal government. This is a states' rights issue."
- Trump's visit to the Museum of African-American History and Culture: Trump especially liked the Muhammad Ali exhibit, featuring the quote: "I shook up the world."
- On the Anne Frank Center's statement condemning the administration: ""I saw that statement. I wish they had praised the president for his leadership in this area...It's ironic that no matter how many times he talks about this that it's never good enough."