Snapchat

A redesigned version of Snapchat's camera eyeglasses called "Spectacles" is now available in the U.S., Canada, U.K., and France, with additional countries in Europe to follow on May 3.

Why it matters: Snapchat has previously struggled with its older version of Spectacles, and the company took a $40 million write down for excess inventory last fall. At the time, CEO Evan Spiegel said they "made the wrong decision" with regard to their Spectacles product.

This isn't a total shocker. An FCC document revealed Snap was working on new Spectacles glasses earlier this month.

What they're saying: Addressing the company's write-down, Snapchat said its goal with the first generation of Spectacles "was to get the world comfortable with the idea of wearing a camera on their face, and introduce them to content taken from their personal perspective." But the company conceded it made some business planning mistakes, and intends to learn from them.

Details: The new Spectacles are now waterproof and are available in three new colors. A Snap spokesperson added that they're also more comfortable to wear, thanks to a smaller profile.

Go deeper

Felix Salmon, author of Capital
9 mins ago - Economy & Business

Wall Street is living up to its bad reputation

Illustration: Sarah Grillo/Axios

Recent headlines will have you convinced that Wall Street is hell-bent on living up to its reputation.

Driving the news: Goldman Sachs, of course, is the biggest and the boldest, paying more than $6.45 billion in fines and guarantees in the wake of the 1MDB scandal, in which billions were stolen from the people of Malaysia.

35 mins ago - Health

Ex-FDA chief: Pence campaigning after COVID exposure puts others at risk

Former FDA commissioner Scott Gottlieb said "the short answer is yes" when asked whether Vice President Mike Pence is putting others at risk by continuing to campaign after several aides tested positive for COVID-19, stressing that the White House needs to be "very explicit about the risks that they're taking."

Why it matters: The New York Times reports that at least five members of Pence's inner circle, including his chief of staff Marc Short and outside adviser Marty Obst, have tested positive for the virus. Pence tested negative on Sunday morning, according to the VP's office, and he'll continue to travel for the final stretch of the 2020 campaign.

Pence to continue traveling despite aides testing positive for COVID-19

Marc Short with Pence in March. Photo: Drew Angerer/Getty Images

Marc Short, Vice President Mike Pence’s chief of staff, tested positive for the coronavirus Saturday and is quarantining, according to a White House statement.

Why it matters: Short is Pence's closest aide, and was one of the most powerful forces on the White House coronavirus task force. Pence and second lady Karen Pence tested negative for the virus on Sunday morning, according to the vice president's office.

Get Axios AM in your inbox

Catch up on coronavirus stories and special reports, curated by Mike Allen everyday

Please enter a valid email.

Subscription failed
Thank you for subscribing!