Just 10 days after he got a job offer from President Trump, Anthony Scaramucci is out as White House communications director.
The instant readout and reaction from the White House, from Axios' intrepid Jonathan Swan:
What it means, per an administration source: "This was Trump saying to Kelly... 'You have the ball. You make the staff decisions.' In order to assert his authority over the staff, this had to be Kelly's move.'"An administration official compared Scaramucci to the "Mr. Wolf" of the administration, the character from Pulp Fiction who solves problems. Jared and Ivanka brought in Scaramucci as an instrument of destruction against Reince Priebus, according to multiple sources. Remember this: Trump's first reaction to the Scaramucci phone call with The New Yorker was amusement. As Trump saw the negative coverage pile up, he started to get angry. By the next day, he was joking about Mooch, saying things like "What am I going to do with this guy? He's crazy."Go deeper: Swan dives into the story. ... Even deeper: A timeline of Mooch's tenure.
What you missed
- Russian hackers beware: The United States has carried out a largely unheralded roundup of big Russian hackers over the last year. On their vacations.
- Rasmussen goes sour: Bad news from Trump's favorite pollster, which has his unfavorable ratings deeply underwater. The numbers.
- Olympics on the way: Los Angeles will host the 2028 Olympics. The unusual outcome.
- Uber's search: The big question revolves around SoftBank, per Dan Primack. Also, Travis Kalanick.
- $9 billion boondoggle? A state-owned power provider in South Carolina is shutting down construction on two partially built nuclear plants. It's going to cost them.