5 Christmas tree farms near New Orleans where you can chop down your own tree
Several farms grow Christmas trees near New Orleans that residents are welcome to cut down for the holidays.
Driving the news: New Orleans has plenty of cut trees at lots around town that normally come from out of state. If you want to cut one down yourself, you'll need to drive to the North Shore or Mississippi.
- "Tree care will be very important this year," Country Pines Christmas Tree Farm told customers on Facebook.
- "Due to the extremely low amounts of water they've received and significant heat this year, they may likely drink more water than usual."
How it works: The farms usually open the Friday after Thanksgiving and go until they are sold out.
- Tree varieties differ at each farm, but the Leyland cypress is a common type.
- Some farms are cash only or charge fees if you use a credit card. Many have gift shops.
What's happening: Here are several nearby farms from the Southern Christmas Tree Association. Check farm hours before you go.
- Country Pines Christmas Tree Farm: 81332 Jim Sharp Road, Covington.
- Tiger Branch Christmas Trees: 18075 Tiger Branch Road, Covington.
- Shady Pond Tree Farm: 37226 Pine St. Ext., Pearl River.
- Easterling Farm Christmas Trees: 64415 Travis Thomas Road, Angie.
- Steele's Christmas Tree Farm: 56459 Dollar Road, Angie.
More New Orleans stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios New Orleans.