Feb 21, 2023 - Food and Drink
6 best Miami pizza spots, according to readers
Axios readers may have voted Nashville a better pizza city than Miami in our bracket-style competition last week, but all was not lost!
What's happening: Readers sent in recommendations for their favorite local places to pick up pies, so if you haven't already, check out these eateries in your own personal quest for the best:
- Evio's Pizza, locations in North Miami and Miami Beach. This family-owned restaurant makes dough and sauce in-house daily and has comfort foods like burgers and wings in a sports bar atmosphere.
- Joe's Pizza, Wynwood. This is an outpost of a legendary New York pizzeria. Surely, founder Joe Pozzuoli knows a thing or two after slingin' pies in Greenwich Village since 1975.
- Pummarola, Midtown Coral Gables, Miami Beach and The Falls. Here, they make Neapolitan pizza, which according to the laws of Italy must be made with fresh mozz and San Marzano tomatoes from the volcanic plains near Mount Vesuvius. They offer pizza-making classes, too.
- Mister 01 — South Beach, Brickell, Wynwood, Aventura and (soon) Bay Harbor Islands. The spot is named after the O1 visa, a category reserved for people with "extraordinary artistic ability" and under which chef Renato Viola used to settle in Miami Beach after apprenticing with leading pizza makers in his native Italy. It's famous for its star-shaped ricotta-filled pizzas, has a burrata bar, sells truffle oil and even offers Nutella pizzas for dessert.
- Frankie's Pizza. This Bird Road institution seems stuck in a time warp — in the best, most authentic way possible. Even the prices are stuck: $14 still gets ya a large cheese pie.
- Mama Jennie's Italian Restaurant. This comfortable hangout on Miami's north side has all the garlic rolls, beer and choices you might need for a casual date or a whole little league team after a game.
More Miami stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Miami.