State launches emergency assistance for flood victims
Add Axios as your preferred source to
see more of our stories on Google.

Gov. Mike Braun at the Emergency Operations Center Monday. Photo: Arika Herron/Axios
Hoosiers impacted by the recent flooding can apply to the state for financial assistance to cover basic needs and temporary housing.
Why it matters: State officials estimate that over 1,000 people have been displaced by the storms and subsequent flooding that tore across the state last week and killed at least seven people.
Driving the news: The state announced the two new assistance programs to provide immediate relief while it applies to the Federal Emergency Management Agency for a major disaster declaration, which would provide more federal resources to local governments and individuals.
- "We want displaced Hoosiers to have a hot meal, a comfortable bed, and access to air conditioning," Gov. Mike Braun said during a press conference Monday. "So, in addition to the state providing temporary housing vouchers, I am activating the State Disaster Relief Fund to provide emergency funds to impacted Hoosiers.”
Zoom in: Temporary housing grants are being provided through the Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority to help eligible displaced Hoosiers transition from emergency shelters into hotels or other temporary accommodations.
- Indiana’s State Disaster Relief Fund will provide up to $5,000 in emergency aid grants to help families meet immediate needs like clothing and food while they are displaced from their homes.
- Hoosiers should call 211 for more information about both grant opportunities, which are available now.
Between the lines: The state collects damage reports through 211 and encourages all affected Hoosiers to document damage thoroughly and report it.
- That data and information will help the state determine next steps in the recovery effort and what resources are needed from the state and federal governments.
- Already, the Army Corps of Engineers is working to assess damage at the Martin Marietta quarry in Carmel, where floodwaters eroded a creek into the path of the quarry.
What's next: Members of FEMA and the Indiana Department of Homeland Security are conducting damage assessments in impacted counties this week to determine what additional state and federal resources will be needed.
- Braun said state officials will complete the application for a major disaster declaration in the next day or two and expect a response within 7–10 days from submission.
- Those declarations are rare, Braun said. If it isn't approved, the state would likely dip into reserves to fund recovery efforts and provide additional assistance to Hoosiers.
