Iowans have reported seeing more than 1,100 UFOs
July is apparently the most likely time to spot a UFO, Axios' Karri Peifer writes.
- That's according to analysis of National UFO Reporting Center data that goes back to 1998 by Im-a-puzzle.com.
Of note: The FAA does not appear to recognize the puzzle site as a reputable agency.
- Yes, but: Even if you're not a believer, there's still lots of fascinating info on NUFORC's site, which is where the FAA recommends it be reported.
Zoom in: There have been 1,156 Iowa UFO reports, which is in the bottom half of the nation. About a dozen have been reported this year, including at least two from the metro in May.
- Clive: A white ball of light that changed color.
- Polk City: Bright lights on the front of a cylinder-shaped craft that had no sound.
Big picture: Some of the sightings can be explained.
- The sounds that shook Des Moines earlier this year, for example, were found to be fighter jets paying tribute to a Vietnam War veteran.
Yes, but: Many go unexplained — like this saucer-like object photographed in Pleasantville last month.
- 👽 The truth is out there somewhere. What do you believe?
More Des Moines stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Des Moines.