Jul 27, 2022 - News
Iowa has enough monkeypox vaccine for 300 people
Iowa currently has enough monkeypox vaccine for up to 300 people, Alex Carfrae, a spokesperson for the state's human services department told Axios Tuesday.
- That includes both first and second doses.
Big picture: Demand currently exceeds supply and it's expected to remain that way for the near future.
- The federal government has ordered nearly 7 million doses but many of them won't be available until mid-2023.
- Only around 300,000 have been made available since late May, Axios' Erin Doherty reports.
Zoom in: There have been at least two cases in central Iowa.
- Due to the short supply of vaccine, there is no public sign-up.
- Vaccines are prioritized for people who have been exposed to monkeypox, Carfrae said.
More Des Moines stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Des Moines.