The most popular Des Moines metro ZIP codes for home buyers — and scrolling dreamers — are in a mixture of the city's more affordable neighborhoods and suburbs in Polk County, according to a Zillow analysis.
Why it matters: It signals what potential homebuyers want — homes in their price range and near good schools.
State of play: The online real estate marketplace tracked which ZIP codes had the highest number of median website views in the Des Moines metro.
- The top picks were in the Beaverdale and Merle Hay areas, where homes are $250K and below.
The intrigue: While Waukee and Ankeny are booming, especially for new construction, consumer demand is still high for cheaper Des Moines neighborhoods, Ted Weaver, president of Des Moines Area Association Realtors, said.
- They may also feed into Urbandale's school district, giving parents more choices of where to send their kids.
The five most popular ZIP codes:
1. 50310 — Beaverdale, median home value: $202,985
2. 50265 — West Des Moines, median home value: $262,384
3. 50322 — Merle Hay, Urbandale, median home value: $246,383
4. 50311 — Waveland/Drake (Des Moines), median home value: $198,535
5. 50312 — Ingersoll (Des Moines), median home value: $252,592
More Des Moines stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Des Moines.