Here are some ideas outlined in a preliminary plan to upgrade Des Moines' Principal Park.
- It's expected to go before the City Council Nov. 15.
Main entry: A redesign would focus the left field corner of the stadium as the key entry point and include a year-round events plaza and a merchandise store.
Parking garage: A three-story, 750-vehicle facility constructed near the corner of Southwest 3rd Street and Line Drive that is currently a ground parking location.
- Restaurants and bars would flank the 2nd Street side of the development.
Mezzanine Club: Upgrades to the upper concourse area behind home plate that the master plan says is currently underutilized.
- An operable glass wall system, a kitchen and restrooms would accommodate about 250 people.
Mezzanine suites: A two-story area above the main concourse would create two additional areas for eight new suites.
- Party decks with room for about 100 people could be at both ends of the existing suite level.
Downtown playground: Located just off the bike trail on the park's southwest side with a river overview.
Interactive water feature: A splash pad near the confluence of the Des Moines and Raccoon rivers at the park's southeast side.
- Park space and art sculptures would be in adjacent areas.
More Des Moines stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Des Moines.