Step back into an elegant time while sipping on a modern cocktail at The New Northwestern Cocktail & Wine Bar.
- Jeff Link, a well-known Democratic political consultant, and Lucca owner Steve Logsdon are the brains behind the bar that's inspired by Des Moines' railway history.
I stopped by the historic site of the former Northwestern Hotel to give you a sneak preview.
🫕 Food: Snack on small, shareable plates, including a charcuterie board featuring local ingredients, Greek mezze, smoked salmon bites, bruschetta and shrimp cocktail.
🥂 Drinks: Creative cocktails are the stars of the show with 10 signature drinks to choose from. Try an espresso martini or a daiquiri with fresh lime.
- And if you can't decide — order a customizable gin and tonic flight.
🚂 The vibe: The bar is an intimate space that exemplifies the history of the hotel, where railroad employees and passengers stayed by the nearby depo that went between Des Moines and Chicago.
- A timeless, marble-counter bar is the room's main feature, followed by ceiling-high windows offering picturesque views of the East Village.
- Plus, the building's atrium is framed by original marble pillars and flooring, offering a feeling of grandeur — and plenty of Instagram pics.
Open: 3-11pm, Tues-Thurs, and 3pm-12am Fri-Sat.
- Happy hour goes from 3-6 pm; 321 E. Walnut St., Des Moines.
More Des Moines stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Des Moines.