National Dog Day: The inspiring stories of Des Moines-area pups
It's National Dog Day and we're declaring Des Moines-area pooches the best and cutest creatures e-v-e-r.
- Three Axios Des Moines readers sent us stories this week that gave us a bit of inspiration. We think they're worthy of your time.
Rockefeller: A Doberman show dog owned by Kelley Frary of DSM.
- He's a donor for the Canine Blood Bank of Central Iowa and saves three or four doggy lives with each donation, Frary told us.
- Chasing lures (fake rabbits) at Water Works Park is one of his favorite activities.
- Skateboards scare him. (He's working on that with regular visits to the new Lauridsen Skatepark.)
Mia: A smiley 14-year-old adopted by Tyler Weig of DSM seven years ago.
- An Animal Rescue League donor paid for her to have cataract surgery soon after Weig adopted her.
- "Without that gift I know her cataracts would have taken over her entire vision," Weig told us.
Charlie: Owned by Sara Ennis Henderson of DSM, and named after Ray Charles.
- She was born blind, but she still loves to play ball.
More Des Moines stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Des Moines.