Hot Tamale Catering is opening a storefront in Des Moines' southside Friday — upgrading from a food trailer in a driveway to a dine-in spot.
What to expect: Hot and fresh Mexican favorites that focus on natural ingredients, according to owner Angie Davila.
- Some menu items: Red and green varieties of tamales & enchiladas, potato flautas, apple chimichangas and brisket tacos.
State of play: When Davila found herself unemployed from her medical underwriting job more than a year ago, she started brainstorming how to provide for her three young kids.
- Her solution: Create a recipe and sell the tamales she's always craved, but couldn't find in Des Moines.
- Thus, Hot Tamale Company was born from her home.
The secret to Davila's mouth-watering tamales is the masa — the fresh corn dough used to bind everything together.
- "We seem to hit people’s taste buds the right way," Davila said.
Open: Tues-Fri 10am to 10pm; Sat 9am to 10pm; Sun 9am to 3pm
- Customers can order at the restaurant (2811 SE 14th Street, Des Moines) or call ahead for catering.
More Des Moines stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Des Moines.