May 28, 2021 - News
Worker shortage puts wet towel on Des Moines pool season
Memorial Day weekend means it's time to make some waves, and Des Moines' Teachout Aquatic Center opens just in time.
- Teachout is welcoming the public this Saturday. But regular pool hours there and at DSM's other four public pools begin June 5.
Yes, but: Wading and splash pools will be rotationally closed this season due to a worker shortage.
- Only five of 24 pool attendant positions have been filled, Ben Page, the city's Parks and Rec director, told his board this week.
- The city might boost the max pay for that gig from $10.13 to $12 an hour, Page told Axios.
What to watch: If staffing levels dip, it's possible the city's public pools and aquatic centers will also be placed on a rotational operation, Page said.
- Want a summer job? Apply here.
- Talk with recruiters at Teachout each day this weekend from open until 3pm
🏊♂️ Teachout's MDW hours: Sat: 11:30am-6pm; Sunday: 1-5pm; Monday: 1-6:30pm.
More Des Moines stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Des Moines.