It’s been taking weeks to transfer vehicle titles in Polk County, but that’s expected to improve in two weeks when the Polk County Administration Building reopens.
Why it matters: Failure to transfer vehicle titles can result in penalties.
- A new owner generally has 30 days to present the title to county treasurers so it can be issued in their name.
- Lots of other county services remained virtual.
What to expect: There’s a big backlog. We checked yesterday and the next available appointment was June 10.
- Treasurer staffers are working six days a week to catch up but remain in a jam due to restrictions and high demand, Treasurer Mary Wells told supervisors last week.
- Reopening the county administration building and resuming in-person appointments would help resolve the problem, she added.
- June 1 is the target date to reopen, Polk County Chairwoman Angela Connolly told Axios.
More Des Moines stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Des Moines.