Polk County's long wait for new car titles may be over soon
It’s been taking weeks to transfer vehicle titles in Polk County, but that’s expected to improve in two weeks when the Polk County Administration Building reopens.
Why it matters: Failure to transfer vehicle titles can result in penalties.
- A new owner generally has 30 days to present the title to county treasurers so it can be issued in their name.
- Lots of other county services remained virtual.
What to expect: There’s a big backlog. We checked yesterday and the next available appointment was June 10.
- Treasurer staffers are working six days a week to catch up but remain in a jam due to restrictions and high demand, Treasurer Mary Wells told supervisors last week.
- Reopening the county administration building and resuming in-person appointments would help resolve the problem, she added.
- June 1 is the target date to reopen, Polk County Chairwoman Angela Connolly told Axios.
More Des Moines stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Des Moines.