- Nominations were submitted by the public and the top vote-getters won. (Yay democracy)
- Only 100% real-beef burgers were eligible. (Our apologies, tofu.)
The Council declined our helpful offer to launch and assist with a recount. But they did provide Axios with some of the metro nominees. In no particular order:
- Yankee Clipper, 312 SW Maple St., Ankeny
- Claxon's Smokehouse & Grill, 3131 8th St. SW, Altoona
- Flame the Taqueria, 5765 Merle Hay Rd, Johnston (It also has a food truck)
- Polk City Pub, 217 W. Broadway St., Polk City
- Brick Street Market & Café (formerly Butler Café), 114 Brick St., Bondurant
- Kippy's Place, 364 NW Main St., Elkhart
Here are a few of our reader favorites:
- "Lachele's has quickly become one of my all-time favorite burger spots. It even gives Portillo's a run for its money." — Giada Morresi, Des Moines.
- Lucky Horse — Michael Hellman, Des Moines.
- "Park Avenue Pub is a total dive, but a delicious burger." — Ryan Day, Granger.
What they're saying:
"Look, no one across the state wants to say the best burger is in Des Moines. I get it. But if they want to keep that narrative, not only are they being misleading, they're just wrong. Lachele's is the state champion until someone can match their level."— Grant Young, Des Moines
More Des Moines stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Des Moines.