People like to make unoriginal jabs about our corn, but sometimes, we deserve to be made fun of. Exhibit A: Froot Loops Pizza.
The backdrop: It started when Fong's Pizza, known for its creative concoctions, announced on Facebook that it was launching breakfast items, including "The Loopy Fruit Pizza."
- For $20, you can purchase a 16" pizza, topped with cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, vanilla icing and Froot Loops at Fong's on Forest.
- The Register tweeted a picture of the pizza in all its glory, and it was absolutely ratioed.
Because I can't help myself, yes, I tried it. My take:
- The moment I welcomed the pizza box into my car, the familiar aromatics of greasy cardboard filled the vehicle, but dare I say — there was a fruity scent as well.
- In the first bite, there was a crunch from the cracker-thin crust and a tangy-dairy taste from the mozzarella.
Then I reached the Froot Loops.
- They had a strangely nostalgic taste and texture. The colorful cereal bits were slightly moist, like a bowl of cereal that's been sitting out.
- The colors bled similarly to the colorful milk you drank as a kid, but well ... it was rainbow-blotched cheese instead.
- As a fan of "The Princess Diaries," I definitely tried M&M's on pizza growing up. This tasted exactly like that — greasy cheese and candy.
The conclusion: This is literally just cheese pizza and Froot Loops.
- It's a result of Instagram's influence on our culinary cuisines, so I'm happy to stick with my Fong's fave: Crab Rangoon.
This story first appeared in the Axios Des Moines newsletter, designed to help readers get smarter, faster on the most consequential news unfolding in their own backyard.
More Des Moines stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Des Moines.