McDonald's is entering the chicken sandwich wars today, but I was wondering — what is the best *local* sandwich?
- My first job was at Chick-fil-A in WDM, so you can trust my taste.
- Ask DSM Dining Discoveries for recommendations.
- Drive around town eating five chicken sandwiches in three hours.
- 🌸 Drown in Pepto-Bismol.
Here are my top five picks in alphabetical order:
In my first bite, there was a rewarding “crunch.” (We’re in it for the *fried* part, right?)
- Beyond the patty, I liked the thick-cut veggies, especially the red onions.
Price: $11 w/a side.
Address: 2301 Southwest 9th St., Des Moines; 515-288-2358
Downtown's southern-style restaurant has everything you're looking for: crispy breading, high-quality white meat, fresh veggies.
- The honey hot sauce and pillow-y South Union Bakery buns were highlights.
Price: $11 w/a side.
Address: 200 10th St., Des Moines; 515-257-4744
The original chicken sandwich from the food truck-turned restaurant is the ideal all-around sandwich.
- The breading is crispy, the chicken — juicy. It's thick, but not overwhelming. The zesty mayo-like sauce adds just enough zing to compliment the chicken-flavor.
Price: $7.23 w/a pop.
Address: 6150 Merle Hay Rd, Johnston
The Nashville Fried Chicken Sandwich offers just enough spice for a satisfying mouth kick.
- The creamy, spicy slaw mellows out the hot sauce, while the toasted pretzel bun adds a great crust and texture.
Price: $14 w/a side.
Address: 1514 Walnut St., Des Moines; 515-883-2337
The Station on Ingersoll
The crispy chicken sandwich is big. It's a flatter, crispy chicken patty that packs a lot of smokey flavor in the breading.
- Bring your appetite. The patty is so big, it hides the veggies.
Price: $10.50 w/fries.
Address: 3124 Ingersoll Ave, Des Moines; (515) 381-0052
This story first appeared in the Axios Des Moines newsletter, designed to help readers get smarter, faster on the most consequential news unfolding in their own backyard.
More Des Moines stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Des Moines.