Exclusive: Trump says he's "50/50" on Iran deal or bombs, will meet envoys to decide
Add Axios as your preferred source to
see more of our stories on Google.

Vice President Vance, President Trump and Secretary Rubio in the Oval Office. Photo: Will Oliver/EPA/Bloomberg via Getty
President Trump told Axios on Saturday that he would be meeting with his negotiators later in the day to discuss Iran's latest offer, and would likely decide by Sunday whether to resume the war.
The big picture: Trump said it was a "solid 50/50" as to whether he would be able to make a "good" deal or else "blow them to kingdom come."
The latest: The president is expected to hold a conference call with Gulf leaders later today to discuss the situation with Iran, per two sources with knowledge of the plans.
- The leaders of Egypt, Jordan and Turkey are expected to be among the participants.
The big picture: Trump told Axios he'd meet with Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner later on Saturday to discuss Iran's latest response. Vice President Vance is also expected to join.
- Pakistani Field Marshal Asim Munir, who has been mediating between the parties, left Tehran on Saturday after meeting top officials there and trying to push a deal across the line.
- A deal was not finalized but Pakistan said there was "encouraging progress toward a final understanding."
- The new draft that Trump intends to review on Saturday emerged from the Iran-Pakistan talks.
The other side: Iran's foreign ministry spokesperson said Saturday that Iran and the U.S. were in the final stage of discussions on a memorandum of understanding to end the war.
- The spokesperson said the MOU would also deal with gradually reopening the Strait of Hormuz, lifting the U.S. blockade and releasing frozen Iranian funds.
- He added that a 30-60 day period of negotiations on a detailed agreement would follow.
Zoom in: Trump said he would only take a deal that covers issues like uranium enrichment and the fate of Iran's existing stockpile.
- However, those issues are unlikely to be resolved in any detail under the MOU the U.S. and Iran are discussing to end the war and launch more in-depth negotiations.
- Regional mediators — Qatar, Egypt, Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan — have been scrambling over the past 24 hours to bridge the gaps between the parties. They have held numerous calls with both Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and U.S. envoy Steve Witkoff.
State of play: "I think one of two things will happen: either I hit them harder than they have ever been hit, or we are going to sign a deal that is good," Trump said.
- He acknowledged that "some people would much rather have a deal and others would rather resume the war," but rejected the idea that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was "worried" that he might make an unfavorable deal.
- Trump described Netanyahu as "torn." Israeli officials say the prime minister is highly concerned about the deal under discussion and has urged Trump to launch another round of strikes.
What to watch: Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Saturday that there had been "some progress" in talks and "there might be some news later today."
- He said Iran can never have a nuclear weapon and must give up its enriched uranium, and the Strait of Hormuz needs to be fully reopened "without tolls."
- Up to now, the U.S. and Iranian positions on both the nuclear issue and the strait have been irreconcilable. Those issues might not be fully resolved even if a peace memo is signed.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
