Griner writes thank you note to fans: "Because of you I never lost hope"
WNBA star Brittney Griner published a note Wednesday thanking her fans for their support and sending mail while she was detained in Russia.
Driving the news: "Your letters helped me to not lose hope during a time where I was full of regret and vulnerable in ways I could have never imagined," Griner wrote in the note posted on her Instagram late Wednesday.
- "Because of you I never lost hope," she added.
- She also urged her supporters to join her in "writing to Paul Whelan and continuing to advocate for other Americans to be rescued and returned to their families."
- U.S. officials maintain that they are still "negotiating" for the release of former Marine Paul Whelan, who has been held in Russia since 2018.
What she's saying: "Your letters were also bigger than uplifting me," Griner wrote. "They showed me the power of collective hands."
- "My family is whole and now, thanks to you, we are fortunate to get to spend the holidays together."
- "However, there remain too many families with loved ones wrongfully detained," she added.