Updated Sep 14, 2022 - Politics & Policy

Officials investigate staff member who reported Northeastern explosion

Signage is displayed at Northeastern University in Boston, Massachusetts, U.S., on Monday, April 20, 2020.

Photo: Adam Glanzman/Bloomberg via Getty Images

Federal officials said Wednesday they are investigating whether the employee who reported a package explosion at Northeastern University lied to investigators or played a part in the incident, AP reports.

The latest: Investigators said the employee's story lacked consistency and "his injuries did not match wounds typically consistent with an explosion," per AP.

A screenshot of a Boston EMS tweet about responding to reports of an explosion that injured one person at Northeastern University in Boston.
Photo: Boston EMS/Twitter
  • The FBI was assisting after a package sent to the university's Holmes Hall campus in Boston exploded as a staff member opened it on Tuesday evening, police said.

Details: Police said at a news conference late Tuesday that the 45-year-old man was taken to a local hospital and treated for "minor hand injuries." A search revealed a "second similar package that was ultimately rendered safe by our bomb squad," Boston Police Superintendent Felipe Colon said.

  • Police said they responded to reports of a suspicious package at the campus at 7:18 pm. Northeastern University Police Department tweeted just before 10 pm that the scene was contained and the NUPD was working with city police to secure the area.
  • The university said in a statement to news outlets the building "has been evacuated and a notification was sent to the Boston campus at 7:55 p.m. urging people to avoid the area."
  • The FBI said in an emailed statement it's "aware of the incident and coordinating with our law enforcement partners."

Meanwhile, universities including Harvard, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Boston University said they were increasing patrols as they urged students to report any suspicious activity to police.

What they're saying: Boston Mayor Michelle Wu at the news conference praised law enforcement for their response and said she wanted to "make sure to emphasize that this is of the utmost priority, the safety and wellbeing of all of our young people here."

What we're watching: Colon said police were still investigating both the motive and how the package was delivered to the university.

Go deeper: Subscribe to Axios Boston

Editor's note: This article has been updated with new details throughout.

Go deeper